Post #3 My Writing Process
My writing process has changed dramatically over the years. In the Spandel essay, she discusses that most students writing is assessment driven. This is exactly how I started writing. Even my rough drafts, were written to be a "final draft" that only needed some grammatical or formatting corrections. I would write my thesis first and then fill in the rest of my essay. When I went back to College, this assessment style of writing was so ingrained in my head that that is how I continued to write. It was my fool proof sure way of being successful in my writing. It wasn't until one of my professors introduced me to Anne Lamott's "Shitty First Drafts" that my writing style really changed. Similar to what Ballenger suggests, that we teach students to write badly first, Lamott believes in writing a bad first draft, just writing everything down, every thought that comes to mind, not caring about grammar or sentence structure. It's a draft that no one will ever ...

It is great to have you here, Jessica, and the little "Jessicans".
ReplyDeleteWith those big smiles, they (and you!) look like they are weathering the Pandemic with grace and style